BASIC MISO SOUP
- 1 3-inch or 1 rounded tsp dried pieces wakame seaweed
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 quart water or soup stock
- 1-1.5 tbs. miso
- chopped scallions, parsley or watercress for garnish
1. Soak the wakame in cold water for some minutes and slice it into small pieces.
2. Put wakame and thinly sliced onions in a pot and add the water. You can also use soup stock if available or wakame soaking water if it is not too salty.
3. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until tender. Reduce the heat.
4. Put the miso in a bowl or a suribachi. Add 1/4 cup of the broth from the pot and dissolve miso in it. Add it to the soup, simmer – not boil- for 3-5 minutes and serve. Garnish with parsley, scallions or watercress.
FOR SWEETER TASTE:
Saute onions and other possible vegetable pieces first in a little sesame oil and then add the water. Then follow the basic recipe.
FOR COLD MORNINGS:
Add some grated ginger to the soup in the beginning to increase the circulation in the body.