- 2 cups garbanzo beans and soak water
- 8 -inch piece of kombu
- salt or 2 umeboshi plums
- 1-2 fresh lemons, juiced
- 1 small onion, diced or bunch of scallions
- 2/3 cup tahini
- garlic clove (optional)
1. Place the kombu strip in pot.
2. Add the garbanzo beans and the soaking water and bring to boil.
3. Simmer covered. Add water if needed. Simmering takes about one and a half hours. If pressure cooking, cover chickpeas with 2-3 inches of water and pressure cook for 45-60 minutes.
4. When 90% cooked add 1-2 tsp. salt, complete cooking.
5. Cool the bean pot in cold water and place the chickpeas in a blender.
6. Add fresh lemon juice, tahini, (garlic clove), onion dices ( or chopped scallion) and 1 tsp. salt or umeboshi plums. Blend until smooth. Add bean boiling water if needed for desired consistency.
7. Garnish with parsley.
Variation: Use tamari instead of salt when blending.