HEARTY MISO SOUP
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup tofu cut into 1-inch squares (optional)
- 1 cup cubed winter squash (optional)
- 1-2 leaves of kale, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 tbs. miso
- 1 quart water
- seaweed (optional)
1. Layer the sliced celery, onions , seaweed and squash in a pot and add water to half-cover the vegetables.
2. Cook covered over medium heat without stirring about 25 minutes or when the vegetables are almost done.
3. Add water; bring into a boil and add the chopped kale and possibly tofu squares. Boil another 5 minutes and then lower the heat.
4. Mix in the miso in a small amount of the broth from the pot, as in the basic miso soup recipe. Simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Variation: Pour the hot miso soup over pan-fried or baked mochi pieces for a fuller texture.