VEGETARIAN RED BEAN CHILI
- 2 cups red beans (or half red and half pinto beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 small green onion diced
- strip of kombu
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup medium picante sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp. chili powder or to taste
- 1 tbs. olive or sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce or to taste
1. Sort beans on a tray, and rinse. Soak the beans overnight. Combine beans with kombu, bay leaf and water and cook 1/2 hour.
2. Add cumin, chili powder, carrots and onions (and picante sauce if desired.) Cook additional 1/2 hour.
3. Add green pepper, canola oil and tamari as soon as beans are tender.
4. Remove or dice and return kombu if desired.
5. For extra smoothness remove 1/2 – 1 cup of beans, puree and return.
6. Simmer 10 minutes and serve.
Delicious with cornbread and rice.