CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
- 8 cups water or soup stock
- 2.3 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 4 medium shitake mushrooms (optional)
- several stalks of broccoli
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 strip of kombu
- 1/3 cup dulce (optional)
- 3 tbs. miso (to taste)
1. Rinse kombu quickly in cold water, add to water or stock and bring to a boil.
2. Crescent cut onion and add, with celery seed.
3. Lightly roast oatmeal and add while stirring. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
4. Rinse shitake mushrooms, soak for 1/2 hour, dice and add both mushrooms and soaking water to the soup.
5. Dice and add carrots.
6. Trim, skin and finely dice the broccoli. Add to water and simmer another 30 minutes, covered.
7. Optional: For creamier texture, strain and puree all solids and put in water.
8. Optional: Rinse, chop and add dulce and simmer a few more minutes.
9. Dissolve and add miso at end of the cooking. Let stand 5 minutes, serve with garnish.
Variation: Use soy or rice milk instead of oats. Use tamari or salt instead of miso. Drop a piece of baked mochi in each bowl of soup. Add cumin at the beginning.