FRUIT KANTEN (JELLO)
- 2 cups of apple juice (or any juice)
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 heaping tbs. agar-agar, (follow package instructions)
- 3 medium-size apples, pears or peaches, sliced (can add any berries too!)
- few grains of sea salt
1. Bring the apple juice and water to a boil in a pot, and gradually stir in the agar-agar until it dissolves. OR: Soak the agar-agar in water and juice for 10-15 minutes and then bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, add the sea salt and fruit slices, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour mixture into a a large dish or several small molds and let sit at room temperature or refrigerate until jelled, which usually takes about 45 minutes.
Variations: Use 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract or 2 and 1/2 tbs. barley malt for extra sweetness. Finely grated lemon peel (3 tbs.) gives a nice fresh taste, too. Add a couple of tbs. tahini or sesame butter for a fuller taste and opaque color. 1 tbs. arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 tbs. apple juice gives a creamier consistency.