HIJIKI WITH ALMONDS AND SAUTEED VEGETABLES
- 1/2 cup hijiki water to cover hijiki
- 1-2 tbs. tamari soy sauce
- sesame oil
- 1/2 cup roasted chopped almonds
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, cut in match sticks
- 1 cup snow peas
- scallions or parsley for garnish
1. Wash and soak the hijiki until tender. Cut into 1.5 inch lengths.
2. Place the soaking water in pot. If too salty, use only half and add fresh water to cover the hijiki. If persons partaking of dish are new to sea vegetables, don’t use soak water.
3. Add the hijiki, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes. If uncovered, the possibly bitter taste disappears.
4. Add the tamari and cook for another 20 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
5. Lightly brush a frying pan with sesame oil and heat. Saute the onions uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Add the carrot match sticks, a pinch of sea salt and saute for 2-3 minutes more.
6. Add the snow peas and saute for a further 3-4 minutes.
8. Mix in the chopped roasted almonds and garnish with scallions or parsley.
Variation: Add seitan together with the snow peas. Any vegetables can be used in this dish. Shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced can be sauteed together with the vegetables.