LAYERED VEGETABLES – NISHIME STYLE
- 1-2 three inch strips of kombu, washed, soaked in 1/2 to 1 cup of water until soft and sliced into half inch squares
- 2-3 carrots cut in bite-size chunks
- 2-3 daikon radish or turnips cut in chunks
- 1 rutabaga, cubed, or one quarter to half of a medium butternut or kabocha squash, seeds removed, and sliced into bite-size chunks
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. tamari soy sauce (optional)
1. Soak the combu for 5 minutes. Reserve the soaking water.
2. Separately wash and slice the vegetables.
3. Place the kombu squares in the pot. Then layer the vegetable chunks: daikon or turnips, carrot, squash.
4. Add the combu soaking water and a pinch of sea salt. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about 30 minutes.
5. For stronger taste add tamari and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until almost all of the liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender.
6. Mix the vegetables gently with a wooden spoon and place in a serving bowl.