GOMASHIO – ROASTED SESAME-SALT CONDIMENT
- 1 cup sesame seeds (tan or black)
- 1 tbs. salt (can be adjusted, depending the desired strength)
1. Wash seeds. Drain and place them in a dry skillet and stir until all water is evaporated. Then remove.
2. Dry-roast salt in a frying pan for a minute over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Grind fine in a suribachi.
4. Dry-roast the damp seeds, stirring constantly with a rice paddle or wooden spoon, until most of the moisture evaporates and they begin to pop.
5. Place the roasted seeds in a suribachi and grind them along with the ground salt. Grind slowly in a circular motion until 80 % of the seeds are crushed.