MILLET WITH CAULIFLOWER (MOCK POTATOES)
- 2 cups millet
- 3 pinches sea salt
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into 2 inch pieces (3 and 1/2 cups)
- soy sauce
- vegetable oil
- 5.5 cups water
1. Wash millet with fine meshed strainer until water is clear.
2. Wash cauliflower and slice into 2 inch pieces.
3. Add water to pressure cooker and bring to boil, add millet, cauliflower and sea salt.
4. Skim off foam.
5. Cover and with high heat allow pressure to come up, place flame deflector under pot and cook on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove pot from stove and allow pressure to come down by itself.
Can be eaten as is, or can be pureed in a food mill or food processor with a little vegetable oil and tamari to make a delicious mashed potato substitute, can top with gravy.
- 3 tbs. tahini or other nut butter
- 1 tbs. light miso, soy sauce or Bragg’s Amino
- 3-4 scallion stalks, cut thin rounds or cooked onions (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 cup water
Cream nut butter with miso or soy sauce, and delute cream with 1/4 cup water. Add scallions if desired. Place over medium heat and add rest of water gradually until thinned to desired consistency. Heat until it boils, 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. It will thicken, so add more water or other liquid (like brown rice vinegar, lemon, lime or orange juice) until desired consistency is reached.